Welcome!

Thanks for checking out Art History Everyday! As a parent, a teacher, and a museum educator, I am passionate about introducing art into childrens' lives. "Studying" (or playing with) Art History is a fun, surprisingly accessible way for kids to develop art techniques, critical thinking skills, and literacy skills.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Van Gogh Finish-the-Landscape




My 4th and 5th grade Art Historians have been studying landscapes, and we've been looking at a lot of Van Gogh's. This tied in really nicely with color theory - a topic we'd been discussing in art. While Van Gogh used paint, my students used oil pastels to better mimic his style. The color-matching was something I stressed - as well as the direction of his brush strokes and the layering of color. This isn't a new idea for art class - but I had to share because it's a wonderful use of old calendars, and I think the students did a remarkable job!

No comments:

Post a Comment