Welcome!

Thanks for checking out Art History Everyday! As a parent, a teacher, and a museum educator, I am passionate about introducing art into childrens' lives. "Studying" (or playing with) Art History is a fun, surprisingly accessible way for kids to develop art techniques, critical thinking skills, and literacy skills.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Don't Try This at Home

I feel fortunate to live in a city where toddler art classes are easy to come by. I can let my daughter explore art materials without worrying about covering my entire kitchen in a drop-cloth. I think introducing kids to art history first starts with introducing them to creating art. This is my daughter at 19 months:

She became more and more comfortable painting on mural paper, exploring with trucks, combs, and dinosaurs in the paint, and stamping with all kinds of objects. Only 5 months later - I took this picture on her 2nd birthday:


She's an addict. If you haven't read the book, "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More," by Karen Beaumont, I highly recommend it (not only because it describes my girl perfectly!). http://www.amazon.com/Notable-Childrens-Books-Younger-Readers/dp/0152024883 

But now she's 3, and we do try more at home. My must-haves: Large mural paper, a great smock with arms (the apron-style are definitely not enough for us), and yes, a drop cloth. No matter how thick the paper is, paint will go through onto the dining room table without one. (Kids love to layer. I repeat to my young elementary students as they layer and mix in the same area until the paper starts to fall apart: "That looks great - now focus on the part of the paper has no paint!") I love Mimi the Sardine Spillmats: http://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Sardine-Spillmat-Design-Green/dp/B003724VAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299290916&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment